21 Jan The A-List: The Best Shared Platters and Small Plates in Auckland
The Best Shared Platters and Small Plates around Auckland:
We all know that food is great, but it’s even better when you can share it – as long as there’s enough for you to have your fill that is! So we’ve compiled some of our top spots to eat that have phenomenal platters and small plates for you to go out and try next time you’re feeling friendly and wouldn’t mind sharing a plate of incredible cured Italian meats or Japanese delicacies. Enjoy!
Andrea Ristorante Italiano
Not only is the traditional Italian food delicious, but the views across Mission Bay are stunning, making your meal at Andrea’s a sensory experience. Renowned for their pasta and pizza – both of which are meals ideal for sharing! – their antipasto platter is also amazing. It’s a different incorporation of Italian cuisine from the norm, but just as good!
- Antipasto platter (for two): salame, cheese, bruschetta, mussels, cured salmon, calamari, pork belly, bread sticks and salad $22.50
97 Tamaki Drive
Ebisu is an oasis in the ever-busy sea of people and places that is Britomart. Low-lighting, spacious room, and industrial style décor make this a place where you can just breathe and relax. The traditional Japanese cuisine is flavourful, exciting and well-worth sharing – even if it’s just so you can try a more than one meal!
Below is a selection of some of our favourite small and shared plates from Ebisu.
Small plates for lunch:
- Tuna tartar with citrus, soy & chilli mayo
- Steamed Prawn Dumplings
Shared platter for dinner:
- Chef’s selection of today’s best market sashimi, nigiri sushi & amki rolls served on ice with house made pickles and wasabi
116-118 Quay Street
Since 2009 Coco’s have been all about rustic Italian food that is simple, but special.
You can never go wrong with spaghetti and meatballs – especially when those meatballs involve three different kinds of meat and a double-cooking method to keep them moist and delicious. In keeping with our theme of our shared plates them though, you can’t go past the incredible antipasti plate – YUM!
- Antipasti plate with Italian and house cured meats, olives, almonds, Bagna Cauda and homemade bread $30
367 Karangahape Road
Et Tu Bistro
On the outskirts of the big city, Et Tu offers Mediterranean style food, with a modern Kiwi twist. The likes of artisan wood fired pizzas and calamari are some of the top picks here, but without a doubt, the range of sharing plates are perfect for any occasion or palate.
Platters for two
- Marinated olives, homemade hummus, mini wood fired pizza bread $19.50
- Chef’s choice of cured meats, artisan dips, breads, homemade duck liver paté with wood fired and grilled vegetables $28.00
- A selection of wood fired and grilled vegetables, homemade dips, artisan breads, chef’s choice of stuffed filo wraps or rice balls $26.00
532 Te Atatu Road
Te Atatu Peninsula
Another stunning Italian restaurant, but this one is special! Prego is tunring 30 this year! Which is an incredible milestone in the ever-changing landscape that is Auckland restaurants. We love what Prego do, every dish is flavourful and stunning. A little bit of knowledge on the Italian language may help you you decode the menu faster, but you could just take our word for it and order ‘Salumi”…
- SALUMI Pistacchio mortadella, Parma ham, salame Felino, chorizo, cipollini onion, green tomato salsa, Kalamata olives, fig & fennel crostini
226 Ponsonby Road