07 Oct The A-List: Our Summer Cocktail List
The weather’s getting warmer, and we’re ready to sit back and sip cocktails. Its 5 o’clock somewhere right?
And if you aren’t keen on making your own cocktails, pop down to some of our favourite bars:
- The Lab- We suggest the limited edition Wine Pop made up of yummy peach and vodka in a glass of sparkling wine (what more could you want?)
- Bedford Liquor & Soda- Hawaiian time is our go to here, and not just because it’s pretty
- MR TOMS- Amazing list of cocktails perfect for any occasion
- 46 & York- One word: Delicious
Here’s our list for easy to make summer cocktails:
- 1/2 cup raspberry puree
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges
- 4 ounces white rum
- 4 ounces chilled club soda
- Raspberry Puree, makes 2 cups
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- ice cubes
- mint leaves and fresh raspberries for garnish
For the Raspberry Puree:
In a small pan, add the Raspberries, water, sugar and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Add to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Chill. (You can strain the seeds if desired).
For the Mojito:
In the bottom of a heavy drinking glass, combine the mint and lime wedges, using a muddler to smash them all together and release some of the mint. Add ice cubes, the raspberry puree, rum and club soda and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Tequila Sunrise Mimosa
- 30 ml tequila
- Prosecco or champagne, chilled
- Orange juice (I like Simply Orange Mango)
- Splash of grenadine
- For each rink, pour 30ml tequila into a champagne flute.
- Fill flute about halfway with prosecco/champagne.
- Add orange juice, filling the flute until it’s mostly full
- Top with a splash of grenadine.
Mango and Blackberry Vodka Cooler
- For the Mango Simple Syrup:
- 3 small ripe mangos, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8-10 leaves of fresh mint, plus more to use as garnish
- For the Vodka Cooler:
- 4 shots of Vodka
- 8-10 fresh blackberries
- 1 can of sparkling water/club soda
- Crushed ice
- Place the slices of mango in a large glass (or jar). Muddle them until they are thoroughly crushed. Alternatively, you can puree them in a food processor or blender.
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Off the heat, add in the muddled mango and mint leaves and let the mixture cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain the syrup into a pitcher and discard the solids. Let it cool completely before using.
- Fill four glasses with crushed ice. Divide the mango simple syrup in between glasses. Pour 1 shot of Vodka in each glass. Top them off with club soda. Garnish them with fresh mint leaves and 2-3 blackberries for each glass.
Classic Champagne Cocktail
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 dashes of angostura bitters
- 150ml Akarua BRUT NV
- Lemon twist for garnish
- Place cube of sugar into champagne glass
- Splash a couple of dashes of bitters over the cube
- Fill glass with Akarua BRUT NV
- Garnish with a twist of lemon
Pina Colada Perfection
- 240ml Dark rum
- 240ml Pineapple Juice
- 60ml Fresh orange juice
- 30ml Fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Cubed pineapple
- 240ml Coconut milk
- 120ml Heavy Cream
- 90ml Demerara simple syrup
- Pour all ingredients into a blender jar and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Chill 4 glasses, remove from fridge and fill with crushed ice. Stir cocktail and pour into the glasses.
- Garnish with the cherry, pineapple wedge and lime wedge.
Cucumber & Lime Margarita
- Cucumber Juice
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, makes roughly 1.5 cups of juice
- Cucumber Lime Margarita
- 50ml ounces silver tequila
- 50ml ounces fresh lime juice (usually half a lime)
- 90ml cucumber juice
- lime and cucumber wedges for garnish
- Cucumber juice: Juice the peeled cucumbers in your juicer or blender. If using a blender, add the cucumber and blend for about 30-45 seconds until it looks like thick juice. Separate the pulp from the juice by setting a fine mesh strainer over a bowl or large measuring cup. Gently push on the pulp using a wooden spoon or spatula. There will be enough cucumber juice to make 4 margaritas.
- Margarita: In an 8 ounce glass filled with ice, add the tequila, lime juice and cucumber juice. Stir to combine. Garnish with a wedge of cucumber and lime.